Sunday, July 11, 2010

When It Rains, It Pours

Well I am currently writing this and listening to the World Cup finals at the same time. It feels good to be listening to the game, although I'll be honest. I would love to be in my basement with a huge pizza and a cream soda watching this game.
But I'm here, and I absolutely love this place, and would choose this place over watching a world cup any day. This week was a challenge. Many things were placed in front of me that were overwhelming, and disheartening. But I managed to fight through it all, and fight through the homesickness, and keep going. This week was a short week, we were supposed to go to the beach with the boys on Thursday but it rained and rained and rained all week long. So the director of the orphanage said that we couldn't go this week, but maybe another week in the future.
We did camp in the afternoons this week at a church 15 minutes down the road, and in the mornings we hung out with the kids from the orphanage. It was a fairly good week besides some other issues that are best to leave out. Camp was great, and it was incredible to see the faces of the kids when they saw our bus pullling up. They would scream and yell and get their friends and wave and you name it, they did it. It was a lot of fun, and the pastor was a woman that had a passion for the kids. After each day of camp, she would invite us to her little house and buy us sodas and her kids would look for lemonsillas for us. (Lemonsillas are a little fruit that look like eyeballs, and they're delicious). It was a great camp, and I got to meet some great people from that little community. Then on Thursday we decided to put on an incredible day for the boys, since they had been looking forward to the beach all year long. We played capture the flag in the morning, and then a hide and seek and my version of sumo wrestling in the afternoon. We took pillows and wrapped them around the kids and just let them go at it in a ring full of used mattresses. It was a blast, and then we watched Tarzan that night.
Then on Friday we went to Cabarete, which is supposedly the nicest beach on the island. It didn't disappoint us. It was an incredible beach, and we got to eat at a sports bar and watch Sportscenter. This just after Lebron had announced that he was deciding on going to Miami. (Which I think was a terrible decision) So there was a lot to watch and comment on. Needless to say, without watching TV for 10 weeks, I was glued.
2 weeks left though, and I'm starting to get anxious. Starting to make plans for when I go home, and what my first meal will be, and if I'll be able to sleep inside with air conditioning since I've gone nearly 3 months without. I'm very thankful for the people that are here with me now though, the community that I have with some of these interns is unlike anything I've experienced since my days at YouthFront, and it makes me miss those people a lot. But it's been great to get to know these people here, and to experience life in the Dominican with them.
Can't wait to see all of you, and I especially can't wait to play some golf and white water raft in West Virginia. Also, Atlanta has been on my heart a lot lately. I am feeling more and more peaceful about that opportunity, and more and more excited.
Hope everyone is doing well back home. I miss you all very much.

2 comments:

  1. If you go to W.Va, I could see you maybe...and what's Atlanta about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a man. A compassionate one at that.

    ReplyDelete