Sunday, July 4, 2010

Welcome to Jaibon

Well, I have officially made the move over to the other orphanage, and have an entire week here under my belt. It has been great to get to know the kids here as well as get to know the new interns.
This week we split into two teams, one with some experienced interns that have been here a while with the church group that came down here and then another group of all interns. It was a whole lot of fun, my group went to a small church just down the road and put on camp there in the morning, and then in the afternoon, the camp was so big that we had to combine both groups and all go out to a town that was 30 minutes away from the orphanage that we are at now. It was an incredible week, as I've already pointed out. The afternoon camp is what absolutely blew me away. I took on the role as getting the kids riled up and ready for camp, and it was like I was somewhat of a celebrity there. Everyday when I would get off the bus, the kids would scream. It was a very humbling experience, because though I may be the one being crazy, and doing all the songs with them and everything else... The camp is what they're so excited about and the people here that do all the stations, (English, Bible, Rec, Art) are absolutely what make these camps run. The afternoon was so much fun, and I feel like the kids really learned a whole lot about the Bible and a whole lot of English. The craziest thing about it all was that there were at least 300 kids there by the end of the week, which is an absurd amount for our camps. We're used to dealing with from 50-100 kids a week.
Also this week, I have been blessed with some awesome new interns that have arrived. 2 guys from Kentucky and another from Alabama have made the transition to the new orphanage a lot easier than it would have been. Also getting closer with those who came over from Monte Cristi with me, this week truly has been awesome. On Friday we went to Santiago, which is where I fly in and out of, and we just explored the city. It was awesome, we got to eat Pizza Hut, which is a rarity, and we also got to do a little shopping. To end the day, we went to where Leonidis Trujillo, the Dominican dictator from 1924 to the mid 60's, had his statue. Obviously, after he was assasinated, the statue was town down and now there in an angel in his place, but to be up there and to experience such history was awesome.
I hope if you are reading this that you can take some time to think about what life is like down here. I know I don't complain about anything, or try not to... But think about the lives of these orphans in this orphanage or about the lives of the kids that I encounter on a day to day basis. These kids come from absolutely broken homes, and they virtually have no hope. But thanks to all of you that have supported me with prayers, thoughts and even money I am able to be here to have an influence in the lives of these children. I was talking with one of the boys here at the orphanage who is 13 years old. He asked me about my family and my dad and everything else, and then he openly began to talk about his family. His mother murdered his father while he was yet to be born. He was then born in prison, and then given to what would be social services. Then they found a care taker for him until he was 6 years old, and he has been here in Jaibon ever since. That is the kind of brokenness that is in this world. It is not only in the Dominican Republic, it is everywhere. I noticed the other day at the afternoon camp that every single student in my group, (80 young men) had on a t-shirt from the United States. These were not shirts that these kids could have bought at the mall. These kids are too poor to be able to go out and buy their own shirts. They are wearing hand me downs from me and you. From other Americans out there. I hope that can paint a picture of the poverty that is everywhere. It may not be where you are, but realize that it is here. It is everywhere, and it is not that difficult to help end that poverty. To be able to give out hope to these kids. Hope to them is just knowing that they have a future. To know that someone out there cares for them. I thank you all for supporting me, because by supporting me in the Dominican Republic, you are helping influence the lives of hundreds of children. Not because I am some awesome individual, but because Christ has the ability to shine his love through people like me and the other interns and volunteers down here. Christs love has the power to penetrate the toughest of hearts, and to influence anyone, anywhere. I am so thankful of this opportunity that I have, and I truly hope that you can take some time to truly think about what is going on outside of the United States, or wherever you may be. There is hopelessness, there is brokenness, there is poverty, but there is also the hope of Christ that overcomes all of those I just listed.
Pray for those that are down here, or all over the world. If you don't want to pray, think about them. Think about how you can help them out. However that may be.
I can not wait to get home and share more with those that would want to hear. I miss everyone back home very much, and I only have 3 weeks here left, and it gets tougher each day, because I keep longing to be home, but at the same time I don't want to leave this beautiful country.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Joe
    Your momma sent me your blog - hope that's okay...I enjoyed reading about your experiences and it sounds as though you have felt really blessed during your time there. I think that's pretty special and am glad God has used this as an avenue to help open your eyes wide. Sarah and I are on our way to Harmons in Jamaica in about a week - I remember all the stories you told about your experiences there so I'll think about you as I drag maul (sp?) up a hillside. :)
    Enjoy the rest of your time there - I know these children will not soon forget the nice man with the curly hair who took the time to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How incredible Joseph. The world needs more people like you to take that step of faith and live as Jesus did. We're praying for you and the rest of the your time there, and the kids you will be encountering. God bless.
    -Lexi

    ReplyDelete