Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dominican Republic Part 1

Well, I've never had a blog before, but I feel it necessary that if people want to know whats going on down here, and what I'm doing down here, what better thing to have than a blog of my own?
Well I'm here in Monte Cristi, which is about 2 hours from Santiago, and 5 hours from Santo Domingo, which is the capital. It's about a 10 minute drive from the beach, and I live here on an orphanage with other volunteers, interns as well as the orphans from the orphanage. I only have 2 weeks left here at this orphanage and it is sad to think about that, but I'm also excited to go over to the other orphanage as well. I hear that place is awesome. I live in what we call a ramada, and it is just a wide open covered area surrounded by a fence. I sleep on a top bunk of a bunk bed, with a mosquito net surrounding me at all times while I sleep. I take "Navy Showers", which means that I get wet, then soap and shampoo, then rinse off. Turning off the water inbetween. Also, we live by the moto, "If its brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow". I have authentic Dominican food everyday, along with the occasional American meal, like today we had grilled cheese and french fries.
I've met some incredible people down here that have come and gone, and some that are still here. It truly has been an incredible summer so far. The kids here at the orphanage are probably my favorite part about the entire experience though. I can hopefully have a positive impact in their life as well as speak Spanish to them all day long and play basketball with them or help them with their homework. I absolutely love the kids here. If I've said it before, then this just emphasizes the fact. They are all incredible, and I admire them all for being able to just be so joyous and happy even though the conditions they live in.
As for what I am "here for", I have been leading camps all summer long. I taught at the English Institute while I was here for the 1st two weeks I was down here, but then I helped lead a English camp and now have done two Vacation Bible School camps as well. This is what I'll be doing the rest of the summer. So we do that from Monday to Thursday and Friday is normally a cultural day which is one of my favorite days of the week, and then Saturday is a day of rest and Sunday is a day to plan and get ready for the week.
I wish I had more time to tell you all about everything that I am experiencing down here, but just know that I absolutely love it here. Though this week I have hit a bunch of stumbling blocks, nothing will stop me from loving this culture, these people, or this place. (I had an extreme allergic reaction to something, had to go to the clinic hospital thing and get 2 shots, I've had pink eye twice this week, my phone charger broke and so did my ipod). So this week has been rough, but I'm going to stick through it and focus on my Spanish speaking skills, and just loving the heck out of the kids here and at camp.

7 comments:

  1. awww. first off, you have such a wonderful attitude about all your misfortunes. I like it! ha. and secondly...I'm so proud of you for doing all you're doing! It all sounds so amazing and I'm sure you're touching so many kids lives (adding to the hundreds you've already helped). I can't wait to hear your Spanish now! Puerto Rican/Dominican accent. :) Glad you started a blog, love to hear about your adventures...since I can't be there :( praying for ya buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spiritual warfare brother. It's a battle down there - keep fighting for the hearts and souls of those kids! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe;
    I'm very proud of you, and am so glad you are having such a wonderful experience... Yes, Satan is alive and well, but we already knew that! I pray for you every day, and I know you are impacting some of those kids! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,
    I have no doubt this is a wonderful life experience, for both you and the kids.

    Loved the info and loved the picture.
    Aunt Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe,

    How awesome to read about your time at the orphanage. I know you are impacting many and spreading love around where it is so needed.

    Praying for you!
    Becky Kinney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joe,

    Wow, what a life experience. I am sure it feels wonderful to know YOU are making a difference in their lives.

    Aunt Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proud of ya Joe. Hope all is well and can't wait to see you on the float trip.

    take care,
    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete